ONE Orpheus still at anchor off Port Said

Container ship ONE Orpheus (IMO 9313008), which temporarily disrupted traffic on the Suez Canal after an accident late last week, remained at anchor off Port Said on December 9th. Ocean Network Express (ONE) wrote to customers to say that it would be advising them of the vessel’s schedule once more information is available. The ONE Orpheus had been due to reach Rotterdam on December 15th.

The vessel was set to have an underwater inspection last Thursday/Friday to assess the condition of the vessel after it was freed on Wednesday night and moved to the anchorage, north of the Suez Canal. It had struck a floating bridge during the accident.

ONE reported that the vessel ran aground at approximately 10:30 local time on Wednesday. The Suez Canal Authority used four tugs to help free the vessel. It was refloated after seven hours.

The incident took place in the northern part of the canal, which is a “dual carriageway”, meaning that, unlike the case with the Ever Given in April 2021, the canal was not completely blocked. The ONE Orpheus was also refloated significantly quicker than the Ever Given, which ended up blocking the southern half of the canal for six days. The ONE Orpheus was refloated after about nine hours.

The Suez Canal Authority reported that at least six vessels in the northbound convoy behind the ONE Orpheus were also ordered to drop anchor as the tugs went about their task of refloating the ONE Orpheus. Among those temporarily delayed were an MSC containership, tankers and LPG carriers. The Authority had planned to divert the northbound traffic into the western channel after the southbound convoy had cleared the area.

Claims consultancy WK Webster said that “reports indicate that the vessel sustained a significant breach to the starboard hull above the waterline as a result of the collision, but there are currently no reports of any damage to cargo stowed on board the vessel.”

After it was refloated at about 19:30 local time, the ONE Orpheus was escorted north to exit the Suez Canal. It reached the anchorage at about 02:00 on December 7th.

The Suez Canal Authority has reported that the vessel suffered a malfunction with its steering and its rudder, which caused it to hit the bridge.

2008-built, Singapore-flagged, 99,543 gt One Orpheus is owned by Meiji Shipping Pte Ltd of Singapore. It is managed by NYK Line of Tokyo, Japan. ISM manager is MMS Bulkship Management Sng of Singapore. It is entered with Gard AS on behalf of MK Centennial Maritime Pte Ltd.