Retail Marine Insurance
Covering news from the retail marine business including claims on yachts and super-yachts.
- Norovirus outbreak causes evacuation of cruise ship November 21, 2019Princess Cruises ship Sun Princess (IMO 9000259), with 2,000 passengers on board, was evacuated after a norovirus outbreak. The cruise ship had left Perth, Western Australia ….
- Investigation of cause of luxury yachts fire awaits safety clearance November 21, 2019The Fort Lauderdale, Florida fire brigade has not yet begun an investigation into the cause of the $24m fire that consumed two luxury yachts, the Reflection and the Lohengrin, at the ….
- Major fire severely damages two luxury yachts undergoing overhaul November 20, 2019Two luxury yachts, the Lohengrin (IMO 8735998) and the Reflection, were severely damaged by a fire on November 16th. The vessels were both undergoing overhauls at the Yachts Repair …..
- Viking Sky had several alarms go off before events leading to blackout November 15, 2019A total of 18 alarms about low lubricating oil levels sounded on board cruise ship Viking Sky (IMO 9650420) several hours before a complete blackout left the ship at the mercy of stormy ….
- NTSB tells US Coast Guard to act on “Duck” vehicles reserve buoyancy November 15, 2019The US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has issued a Marine Safety Recommendation Report calling upon the US Coast Guard to require sufficient reserve buoyancy for DUKW amphibious …..
- First lawsuit filed by victim’s relative as a result of Conception disaster November 15, 2019The first family member of one of the 34 people killed in the fire on accommodation/dive boat Conception on September 2nd has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the ship’s owners, Glen ….
- Alcohol and lack of senior colleague present with Master led to Nippon Maru allision November 11, 2019The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has released a Marine Accident Brief on the December 30th 2018 accident involving passenger ship Nippon Maru (IMO 8817631), which struck …..
- Several indicted over Norman Atlantic disaster November 4, 2019Two companies and 30 individuals were indicted on October 31st as a result of the fire aboard passenger ship Norman Atlantic on December 28th 2014, in which 31 people died and …..
- Cannes to ban the most-polluting cruise ships September 25, 2019Cannes, which is France's fourth-biggest cruise ship port, is to ban the worst-polluting cruise ships from 2020, as part of a bid to boost air quality in the city. The ban will target ships ….
- Salvage claims in the Turkish Straits and Revised salvage agreement – Turks 2015 September 19, 2019Marine insurer Gard has published an article by Caglar Coskunsu of Cavus & Coskunsu Law Firm, Istanbul, on the dangers inherent in negotiating the Turkish straits, and the implication ….