Marine Insurance Legal
Covering the latest law firm activity in the marine insurance sector.
- US Supreme Court rules on asbestos liability in maritime tort context March 22, 2019The US Supreme Court has ruled that, in the context of maritime tort, a product manufacturer has a duty to warn when its product requires incorporation of a part that the …..
- Captain found guilty of manslaughter March 21, 2019Christopher A. Hutchinson, 30, of Cushing, Maine has been sentenced in US District Court to four years in prison and three years of supervised release for Seaman’s Manslaughter for causing …..
- Careful passage planning is of vital importance March 15, 2019UK Club has reported on the March 8th judgement from the English Admiralty Court (Alize 1954 & CMA CGM Sa V Allianz Elementar Versicherungs AG And Others  EWHC 481 ….
- Obtaining security under Letters of Indemnity March 12, 2019Lyall Hickson of UK P&I Club has referred to a legal case on the wording of IG's standard LOI ….
- Rejection of cargo by receivers – cargo contamination March 11, 2019Shirley Wu, Syndicate Manager, Eastern Syndicate, Steamship Mutual, has written a long noted on cargo receivers either delaying delivery or rejecting a cargo, for various reasons ….
- CMA CGM LIBRA General Average defence March 11, 2019Clyde & Co has reported that it had successfully defended a shipowner's claims for contributions in General Average In a recent case before the English …..
- Liability Regimes in offshore contracts (Skuld) March 8, 2019Model Knock For Knock (KFK) contracts in the offshore energy sector are becoming somewhat less common, with parties at all tiers of the contractual chain trying to pass on liability …..
- Taiwanese vessel temporarily detained in New Zealand for not paying crew March 7, 2019Maritime NZ detained bulk carrier Daiwan Justice (IMO 9709312) at Lyttleton on Saturday March 2nd after a complaint that the crews’ wages had not been paid for ….
- Brightoil Gem VLCC detained in China March 7, 2019VLCC Brightoil Gem (IMO 9602655) has been arrested by China’s Haikou Maritime Court at the request of the vessel owner’s creditor bank, BNP Paribas. The bank filed to Haikou Maritime Court ….
- Claimants may be able to seek their loss of profits and expenses/liabilities incurred March 5, 2019Steamship Mutual has reported on a commercial court judgement concerning a challenge by Owners of a VLCC to an LMAA arbitration award, in which the court decided that in the right ….