Marine Insurance Legal
Covering the latest law firm activity in the marine insurance sector.
- Inter-club agreement: the right to counter security January 18, 2019Steamship Mutual Americas Syndicate Manager Joanne Sharma has observed in a recent article that London Arbitration Award 18/18 highlighted the need for care to be taken over the precise …..
- Notice of arbitration – sender beware January 18, 2019Skuld has published a review of two recent cases, Sino v Dana and The Amity, which concerned the service of …..
- Importance of careful drafting of safe berth warranties in charterparties January 17, 2019Using lessons from the Athos I case in 2004, Standard Club and legal firm MMWR Law have written on the importance of careful drafting of safe berth warranties ….
- ACX Crystal owner agrees $27m payment to US for USS Fitzgerald collision: report January 15, 2019A Japanese company has agreed to pay nearly $27m to the US for the collision between container ship ACX Crystal and guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald in June 2017 ….
- Turkey – Compulsory mediation for resolving commercial disputes January 14, 2019Turkey has added new articles to its Commercial Code, effective January 1st 2019, that make it compulsory for parties to refer their commercial disputes to mediation before ….
- Interpreting ‘en route’: Netherlands and Germany January 11, 2019North of England Club's claims executive Garath Archer has noted that recent incidents in the Netherlands and Germany had shown that different interpretations of “en route” in MARPOL ….
- Timebar holds, says judge, refusing leave to appeal January 2, 2019In Midnight Marine v Thomas Miller Specialty Underwriting  EWHC 3431 (Comm) a judge has said there could be no appeal for a …..
- Longshoreman seeks more than $1m from Maersk Line over alleged injuries December 20, 2018US longshoreman Richard Grimble has filed suit against Maersk Line Ltd, alleging that he was injured while working on a vessel partly because of …..
- TT Talk – Legal eagle: force majeure December 20, 2018In a recent TT Club publication on loss prevention, the Club looked at the nature of force majeure. The case in the English High Court – Classic Maritime Inc v Limbungan Sdn Bhd …..
- Athens Convention Time Bar Extended by Supreme Court of Scotland December 19, 2018Standard Club has noted a recent case where the Supreme Court (Scotland) extended to three years the previous two-year time bar for claims to be brought under the Athens Convention 1974 ….