Marine Insurance Legal
Covering the latest law firm activity in the marine insurance sector.
- Fukuichi convicted in Guam pollution case July 18, 2019Japanese fishing company Fukuichi Gyogyo Kabushiki Kaisha (Fukuichi) was convicted and sentenced on July 11th in the District of Guam for two violations of the Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships ….
- Failures by crew were probable cause of Long Island collision, says NTSB July 18, 2019The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has determined that the probable cause of the collision between fishing vessel Polaris (IMO 9097111) and tanker Tofteviken (IMO 9285847) was a …..
- New UAE laws will protect abandoned sailors July 18, 2019The UAE is to introduce new laws that aim to protect abandoned seafarers as part of its draft maritime law, which is set to come into force early in 2020. It will also allow people to ….
- Filipino fisherman indicted on murder charges July 17, 2019Prosecutors in Pingtung County, Taiwan have indicted a Philippine fisherman on charges of killing eight of his crewmates aboard a Taiwanese fishing vessel this February ….
- Hire suspended for vessel seized by pirates July 16, 2019Standard Club has reported on Eleni Shipping Limited V Transgrain Shipping BV (The Eleni P)  EWHC 910 (COMM), noting that the Commercial Court dismissed a shipowners' claim for …..
- Four more arrests: MSC says it is not the target of US MSC Gayane probe July 15, 2019Geneva-based Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) has said that it was not the target of a US investigation that was launched after customs authorities found a large stash of cocaine ….
- MSC Gayane’s containers transferred to other ships July 12, 2019The bulk of the remaining containers on board the MSC Gayane, which was seized in a drugs bust by Customs and Border Protection in the Port of Philadelphia on June 17th ….
- MSC Gayane seized by US Customs & Border Protection July 11, 2019US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) seized container ship MSC Gayane (IMO 9770763) on July 4th "as being subject to possible forfeiture to the United States" after a massive cocaine …..
- Skuld advises charterers on anti-technicality notices July 11, 2019Norwegian marine insurer Skuld has noted in a web article that Issues concerning the service of anti-technicality notices and the withdrawal of vessels were almost exclusively approached …..
- North advises on Master/Pilot division of responsibility July 10, 2019North of England Club has updated members on the common entry in a bridge logbook – “Vessel on Master’s orders and Pilot’s advice”. Although this is a common entry used in the ….