Marine Insurance Legal
Covering the latest law firm activity in the marine insurance sector.
- Textualism in interpretation of law making a come back September 13, 2019After several years in which the contextualist approach to the interpretation of the law seemed to be holding sway, recent rulings, including one by Lord Mance, have indicated that textualism ….
- Bulk carrier detained in Australia; crew owed $64,000 September 13, 2019A Chinese-owned bulk carrier, the Panama-flagged Fortune Genius, which was chartered to carry coal to Korea has been detained at the Port of Gladstone by the Australian Maritime Safety …..
- FBI asks for photos and videos of Conception disaster September 13, 2019The FBI on Tuesday asked the public for video or photos of the September 2nd fire aboard the Conception. The FBI has set up a webpage, www.fbi.gov/boatfire, for the submission of images …..
- USCG convenes board of investigation into Conception disaster September 13, 2019The US Coast Guard announced Wednesday that it had convened a formal Marine Board of Investigation (MBI) to investigate the loss of dive-boat Conception —a live-aboard vessel that caught fire …..
- Malicious Acts: How malicious do they have to be? September 11, 2019The way in which a particular phrase in the Institute War and Strikes Clauses Hull (the 1995 version, although the 1983 version is similar) "1.5. any terrorist of person acting maliciously ….
- Search warrants issued on Truth Aquatics after Conception fire and sinking September 10, 2019The US Coast Guard Investigative Service has served search warrants on Truth Aquatics, the owner of sunken dive boat Conception, as part of an ongoing investigation. The Coast Guard was …..
- Insurers probably see allowable expenses ruling in Renos case a net win September 10, 2019Although the ultimate ruling in the case of MV Renos was that expenses occurred prior to a Notice of Abandonment (NOA) and a Constructive Total Loss (CTL) could be included in assessing ….
- Shipowner’s Limitation of Liability Act of 1851 is under spotlight after California boat fire September 9, 2019Truth Aquatics, the owner of dive ship Conception that caught fire last week, killing all 33 passengers and one crew member, has filed a petition in the US District Court in Los Angeles …..
- HFW to boost market-leading shipping practice with Singapore partner hire September 4, 2019Law firm HFW has hired Singapore partner Christopher Metcalf for its Shipping Practice. Metcalf a dry shipping expert, will join HFW in September from Clyde & Co, subject to local regulatory …..
- Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, MSC, Carnival face lawsuits over Cuba September 3, 2019MSC Cruises, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings and Carnival Corp are looking at legal action from US citizens who hold claims to docking facilities in Havana and Santiago ….