The latest marine hull and machinery related news and analysis.
- Antwerp operations resume after crane collapse December 13, 2019All operations in the River Scheldt and terminals at the Port of Antwerp in Belgium have resumed after a crane was hit by a vessel and collapsed at DP World Antwerp’s quay on Monday ….
- Maritime Autonomous Surface Ships raise questions December 13, 2019In Marsh JLT's recent report on the P&I Clubs, Ben Dillon, P&I Specialist, said that, regardless of one's position on autonomous shipping, it was, like blockchain, a hot topic within the …..
- Wood panelling and drapery contributed to fire on offshore supply vessel December 13, 2019The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has said that a fire on offshore supply vessel Grand Sun was exacerbated by a substantial use of combustible wood panelling and drapery on ….
- Marine accident round-up : 13th December 2019 December 13, 2019Tug Vega (IMO 8935093) ran aground early on December 9th because of gale force conditions at the port of Shakhtersk, Sakhalin Oblast, Russia, early on December 9th, with four crew members …..
- VLCC crashes into crane at port of Antwerp after drifting suddenly to starboard December 11, 2019Container ship APL Mexico City (IMO 9632210) broke from her moorings at the PSA terminal in the Waasland Port in Antwerp, went adrift and allided with a 43 metre-high gantry crane ….
- Update from Matcham on the major claims database project December 11, 2019In the latest IUMI Eye, Dave Matcham, Chief Executive, International Underwriting Association and member of the IUMI Facts & Figures Committee has updated on the Major Claims Database project ….
- Warning from USCG on retractable pilot houses on towboats December 11, 2019The US Coast Guard’s Safety & Compliance Directorate has issued a Safety Alert warning of the hazards presented by retractable pilot houses on towboats. It said that when a pilothouse was …..
- LeConte ferry repairs to take six months; fate of sister ship Aurora unclear December 11, 2019Alaska Marine Highway System ferry LeConte would not be returning to service before May 15th 2020, according to representatives from the Alaska Marine Highway System ….
- Marine accident round-up : 11th December 2019 December 11, 2019Cruise ship Ventura (IMO 9333175) became disabled and adrift during the evening of December 7th, a short time after leaving Santa Cruz De Tenerife as part of a 12-day cruise which started ….
- Japan plans to send seamen to guard ships in Middle East December 9, 2019Japan is considering a plan that would see about 270 members of its Maritime Self-Defence force on one escort ship sent to the Middle East to guard ships supplying Japan ...