Latest news from the marine insurance sector
The latest news from the global marine insurance industry. Updated each working day and without any access restrictions.
- Covid-19 fears lead bulk carrier crew to refuse to offload cargo in Bangladesh April 7, 2020The master and the crew of bulk carrier Tomini Destiny (IMO 9718155) were in conflict with the vessel's owner after the ship’s Indian captain invoked Master’s Authority under the ….
- UAE makes crew change concessions April 7, 2020The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has eased its restrictions on crew changes amid growing concerns that a lack of international cooperation was leading to some crew on ocean-going vessels ….
- Forced Covid-19 payments could threaten stability of global insurance industry April 7, 2020Requiring insurers to cover Covid-19 related losses retroactively could seriously threaten the stability of the global insurance industry, the Global Federation of Insurance Associations ….
- Two new marine underwriters at Markel International April 7, 2020Specialist insurer Markel International has appointed Danielle Yu and Nitin Marathe as marine underwriters to its Hong Kong and India offices respectively. Marathe has been with Markel India ….
- Ruby Princess docks south of Sydney April 7, 2020Cruise ship Ruby Princess (IMO 9378462) docked south of Sydney, New South Wales, on April 6th to get help for sick crew members, who required urgent medical treatment ….
- Prolonged layups at Carnival April 7, 2020Carnival Corp has said that it expected to put the vast majority of its ships in prolonged layups during the global pause of its cruise operations brought about by the coronavirus ….
- Safety Digest from MAIB April 7, 2020The UK Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) has published its first 2020 collection of accidents involving vessels from the merchant, fishing and recreational sectors ….
- Syndicate results 2019 #2 Beazley Furlonge Ltd 623, 2623, 3623, etc April 7, 2020A P Cox Active underwriter Beazley reported that most of the lines of business underwritten in its marine (MAT) division, led by Tim Turner, had seen significant price erosion over a number ….
- Taiwan fishing boats that anchor abroad set to be quarantined April 7, 2020Crews on deep-sea fishing boats that have anchored off other nations or engaged in improper interactions during the Covid-19 pandemic will be subject to a 14-day quarantine on their ….
- BC Ferries suspends some major sailings for 60 days, lays off hundreds April 7, 2020British Columbian ferry operator BC Ferries has suspended services along some major routes and is cutting sailings on others after traffic fell dramatically because of the Covid-19 pandemic ….