Marine Cargo Insurance
Covering the latest cargo and freight related insurance news and analysis from across the globe.
- Outlook for marine cargo insurance challenging, but opportunities remain for underwriters, says IUMI September 20, 2018Marine cargo remained the largest commercial marine line of business in 2017, with global cargo premium reaching $16.1bn, reported Sean Dalton as cargo committee chair of IUMI at the 2018 ….
- Investment in African ports loaded too far towards import facilities, says local agent September 20, 2018Although very large investments have been made in African ports, that investment has been focused on container terminals rather than bulk cargo terminals, warned Christian Fassino ….
- Marine accident round-up : 18th September 2018 September 18, 2018A fire broke out aboard 146-metre-yacht Sassi in the building dock of the Lürssen-Yard in Bremen-Vegesack early on September 14th and spread over three decks of the ship and the building ….
- IUMI supports EU paper on Places of Refuge to IMO MSC 100 in December 2018 September 18, 2018Once a casualty has occurred and a vessel is in distress – whether due to fire or any issue threatening its safety – this vessel needs a place of shelter, and the place of refuge convention ….
- Global marine premiums up by 2% but challenges remain for marine underwriting, says IUMI September 18, 2018Against a positive backdrop of a benign claims environment in some sectors, IUMI's statistics showed an increasing mismatch between premium income, covered risk and claims costs …..
- IUMI’s major global claims data base a work in progress September 18, 2018The development by IUMI of a major global claims database has progressed well in the past year with the completion of a pilot project, but much still needed to be done, according to Dave Matcham ….
- Berg welcomes marine insurers to Cape Town September 18, 2018In his introduction to the common theme on this year's IUMI conference, "Managing Emerging Risks and Exposures – Think the unthinkable", Association President Dieter Berg said that it was not so much
- Marine accident round-up : 17th September 2018 September 17, 2018Freighter Lada (IMO 9194050) was released in the afternoon of September 8th after several weeks' detention in Port Elizabet, South Africa, for allegedly lacking the required transit permits ….
- Seikongen comes up against another legal barrier September 17, 2018The extraction of the 100 tons of decomposed salmon still on fishing boat Seikongen (IMO 9793985), scheduled to be completed this week, has been postponed. The vessel sits at Puerto Montt ….
- Marine insurers are up to task of digitalization September 17, 2018In the latest edition of IUMI Eye, Dieter Berg IUMI President, noted that the insurance industry was making considerable progress in meeting the rapidly changing needs of the shipping industry …..