Marine accident round-up : 4th October 2022

Chemical/oil products tanker Diamond 8 (IMO 9132612), which has been implicated in several investigations into North Korean sanctions evasions has reportedly tried to pass itself as a ship that had been in a Southeast Asian scrapyard for a year. Investigators spotted the Diamond 8 near Fujian Province in June 2022, using a radio identifier linked to similarly-sized Mongolia-flagged chemical/oil products tanker Shun Li (IMO: 8514435), which arrived at the Alang Ship Breaking Yard in India in June 2021, where it was dismantled. Satellite imagery at the time showed the Diamond 8 one to two kilometres away from several other ships suspected to having breached sanctions against North Korea. In May 2021 the Diamond 8 broadcast over a radio identifier associated with Mongolia-flagged products tanker C’hang Shun 8 (IMO 8682969), also in Chinese waters. The Diamond 8 had not been spotted via ground-based stations since June 2021

And while the ‘Shun Li’ appears to have had no other connections to potential sanctions evasion activities during its lifetime, the upcoming U.N. report indicates that its MMSI number is linked to Kaohsiung-based firm You Young Ship Management and Consultant Co. Ltd., the same firm that was also behind two other recently scrapped oil tankers that helped smuggle oil into North Korea.

1995-built, unknown-flagged, 5,738 gt Diamond 8 is listed by Equasis as owned by Nam TJ care of Canguard Ship Management of Batam, Indonesia.

1985-built, Mongolia-flagged, 4,553 gt Shun Li is listed by Equasis as being owned by Sun Jazz Marine pte Ltd care of Ritz Ship Management of Singapore. It was managed nu Jin Hao Ship management Co Ltd of Taipei City, Taiwan, China.

2001-built, unknown flagged, 3,973 gt Chang Shun 8 is owned and managed by Lu Chang Shipping HK Co Ltd of Hong Kong, China.

Passengers on Wellington’s new electric ferry were rescued by a police boat after the ferry lost power. According to a police spokesperson the Ika Rere ran out of battery in the harbour and all passengers on board were transferred to the police boat. After the passengers were escorted back to Queen’s Wharf, the police boat went back out to help tow the ferry back to port. Harbourmaster Grant Nalder said that the boat was on its way back to Queen’s Wharf from Days Bay when the power issue started. The captain got it to a safe spot and put the anchor down, the harbourmaster said.