Marine accident round-up : 28th February 2023

Police in Northern Ireland have been investigating the death of a crew member who fell overboard from container ship BG Ruby (IMO 9436202) in Belfast on February 20th. Emergency medical teams attended Belfast Harbour’s Victoria Terminal 3 after receiving an emergency call shortly after the man fell into the water at around 23:00. He was recovered from the water and taken to hospital the same evening but later died. Inspectors of the UK Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) were sent to Belfast to conduct a preliminary assessment. The MAIB’s counterpart agency in Portugal has been advised about the mishap. The ship left the port again on February 22nd, en route to Rotterdam.

2010-built, Portugal-flagged, 7,852 gt BG Ruby is owned by Lieske Schepers HS Schiffahrts care of manager HS Bereederungs GmbH of Haren (Ems), Germany. As of February 27th the vessel was underway in the Irish Sea en route to Befast, Northern Ireland, ETA February 27th.

The emergency services in Korsakov port, Sakhalin, Russia, were alerted to a methane gas leak during the morning of February 25th from container ship Fesco Tatarstan (IMO 9339105), which had been berthed at port since February 22nd. The methane was leaking from a faulty valve of the flexitank that was stored on the upper deck and surrounded by empty containers. The wind was blowing out to sea, so there was no imminent danger to local residents. The 17 crew were evacuated. Authorities were awaiting for arrival of a specialized team and equipment.

2008-built, Russia-flagged, 7,545 gt Fesco Tatarstan is owned and managed by Fesco of Moscow, Russia. As of February 26th the vessel was underway from Korsakov to Vladivostoik, both Russia, ETA February 27th.

All communications were lost with tuna fishing vessel Lien Sheng Fa (MMSI 416189600) on February 21st and the vessel is feared lost. The Lien Sheng Fa was engaged in fishing in the Indian Ocean, having left Mauritius on October 7th 2022 with 16 crew on board, including a Taiwanese skipper and 14 Indonesians. A search-and-rescue operation has been launched.