Marine accident round-up – 22nd May 2017

Chemical/Oil products tanker Travestern (IMO 9053206) ran aground on the Lancaster Bar on the St. Lawrence River on May 20, 2017. The tanker was en route from Hamilton to Montreal when it grounded near Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Lancaster. It was refloated and then moored near Salaberry-de-Valleyfield for a survey. 1993-built, 11,423 gt Travestern is entered with Steamship Mutual P&I Club. It is owned and managed by Coastal Shipping Ltd of Lewispoerte NL, Canada.

RoRo passenger and car ferry Kydon (IMO 8916607) operating between San Juan, Puerto Rico and Santo Domingo, with a capacity for 1,750 passengers and 111 crew members, allided with a quay of the Puerto Don Diego terminal at the port of Santo Domingo on the morning of May 18th. No passengers or crew were injured. The vessel struck a wall, dragging some freight containers, which in turn destroyed part of the fence of the port facilities. Several vans and containers standing on one of the interior routes of the port were demolished. The ferry itself suffered damage to its ramp. The ship only made its maiden voyage between San Juan and Santo Domingo on May 3rd this year. The route had previously been suspended since the fire on the Caribbean Fantasy in mid-August 2016. Kydon was chartered by Ferries del Caribe as a replacement. The accident was thought to have been caused by a mechanical failure so that the engine could not be stopped in time or perhaps because of a fault on the ship’s ramp. 1990-built, 29,991 gt Kydon entered with UK Club (on behalf of member Anonimi Naftiliaki Eteria Kritis AE) Owner and Commercial manager is Anek Lines SA of Chania, Greece.

Smoke re-emerged from trawler L’Île Maurice on May 18th Two nights earlier the vessel had been ravaged by fire while it was moored in the basin Loubet, in Boulogne-sur-Mer, but the fire was thought extinguished. Firefighters returned to extinguish the smouldering. A main priority was also to prevent the trawler from sinking before it is removed from the port. On the morning of May 19th eight lifeguards from the SNSM intervened to prevent the vessel sinking, as it was suffering water ingress. The trawler was to the old slipway No. 3 and isolated from the other boats in the port. It was surrounded with a boom to prevent pollution. It was moved onto a sloping concrete surface where it could be recovered if it sank. However, this operation was barely completed when the fire brigade had to be called because a fire had again broken out on the trawler, necessitating more foam to extinguish the flames.