Beirut container terminal restarts operations

Container lines have resumed calling at Beirut Port after last week’s explosion as the terminal was sufficiently far away from the explosion to avoid serious damage.

Container lines have also diverted ships to Lebanon’s smaller port of Tripoli to keep supply lines running.

Hamburg, Germany-based container line Hapag Lloyd said in a note to customers on Tuesday August 11th that its first ship to call at Beirut since the disaster was due to dock on August 14th.

 “Alongside our service reinstatement, we are also reopening booking acceptance for cargo to and from Beirut,” the company said, noting that it was still evaluating the extent of damage to any of its containers that were in the port at the time of the blast. The company’s office in Beirut was completely destroyed, but staff were unharmed.

Beirut’s container port has an annual average capacity of just over 1m teus, compared with Tripoli’s 400,000 teus, although the latter’s capacity could be expanded if needed.

Marseilles, France-based container line CMA CGM said separately on Tuesday that it was fully operational again in Beirut, noting that its first container vessel had discharged in the port on Monday.